Why is Sunday School so important?
Sunday School has been around for decades. Most churches still have a functioning Sunday School. However, many questions have been raised as to the validity of Sunday School in an ever-changing world. Questions such as…
What is the benefit of a Sunday School ministry in a local church? What role does Sunday School play in the context of the church’s ministry? Does Sunday School fulfill a vital function in helping the church reach her mission? Does Sunday School still have relevancy in the 21st century? These questions beg to see the context of Sunday School in the contemporary church. I want to give you six reasons why Sunday School is still relevant, vital, and needed.
- Sunday School gives the church’s DNA a natural, functional, practical expression.
- Mission is best accomplished in the context of small groups.
- Any mission is best accomplished in a setting of small groups of people. This gives everyone an opportunity for input.
- Ephesians 4:11-12 is God’s formula for church growth.
“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.”
- We have not found a better way to “equip the saints,” or do “the work of the ministry,” or “edify the body of Christ” than Sunday School.
- Sunday School puts people to work doing the ministry, exercising their spiritual gifts, and empowering them with ministry like nothing else. Therefore, Sunday School is in the business of edifying the people of God like nothing else. This ought to cause many to rise up and champion her cause!
- If you were to eliminate Sunday School you would see a gradual decline in workers being produced in other ministries as well.
- Sunday School is the foundational ministry from which other ministries are able to spin off.
Major concerns for cell churches.
- Many do not provide a small group experience for children.
- Many do not provide an opporrtunity for a family worship experience.
- Evangelism can best take place in Sunday School.