Host an event (updated August 2012)
Imagine having Allan Taylor, Dr. Elmer Towns, Dr. Steve Parr, David Francis, Dr. Ken Hemphill, Bob Mayfield and me, (Josh Hunt) in your church or Association for some All-Star Sunday School training.
Now imagine it didn’t cost you anything.
The vision for this event is a little different from a lot of Sunday School training where the crowd is subdivided into numerous break-out sessions. We want the high-energy of a big crowd to communicate that Sunday School is alive and well and a viable way of reaching people today. We would like to start each session with 20 minutes of upbeat music provided by the host church. The event will be as much motivation as it will be training. We want the people to leave not only knowing some things about Sunday School, but fired up to make their Sunday Schools a vibrant vehicle for God to use to reach people.
Here is a brief resume of some of the speakers:
- David Francis, head of Sunday School for Lifeway and author of a Transformational Class: Transformational Church Goes to Sunday School and a number of other books on Sunday School.
- Elmer Towns, co-founder of Liberty University, creator of Friend day, author of What Every Sunday School Teacher Should Know and What Every Pastor Should know About Sunday School.
- Allan Taylor, Minister of Education at First Baptist Church Woodstock and author of Sunday School in HD and The Six Core Values of Sunday School
- Steve Parr, Vice President for Evangelism and Sunday School for the Georgia Baptist Convention and author of Sunday School that Really Works and Sunday School That Really Responds.
- Ken Hemphill, Author of Revitalizing the Sunday Morning Dinosaur: A Sunday School Growth Strategy for the 21st Century
- Bob Mayfield, author of Power Up Your Sunday School and Sunday School Leaders Pocketguide
- Myself, Josh Hunt author of Make Your Group Grow, You Can Double Your Class in Two Years or Less, Disciplemaking Teachers and Good Questions Have Groups Talking
The idea is that two of us will speak at each event. We plan to offer this on a shared-risk/ shared-reward basis. This way, no one is on the hook for a big risk if it doesn’t work. If it works well, the reward is spread out as well. Here is what we have in mind.
Participants will be charged $25 with a $5 discount if they sign up early. The host will be responsible for travel expenses of all speakers, plus a $400 administrative fee. This $400 is paid up front as a non-refundable deposit. There is no particular honorarium for the speakers. The proceeds will be divided evenly with one third going to the host and one third going to each of the speakers.
The host will be responsible to aggressively promote the event in their Association and throughout the state. Downloadable poster will be provided that you can have printed locally. Hopefully we can get the cooperation of nearby Associations as well. State Conventions sponsorship is mandantory. (They don’t have to contribute financially; we do need them to agree to promote the event. We cannot do an event without the state convention agreeing to promote the event.)
Meetings will be on Friday night and Saturday schedule
- 7 – 9 on Friday night
- 9 – noon on Saturday
With this schedule, no meal will be needed. In addition to promotion, the host is responsible to provide some robust, uplifting music to begin each session.
If you have any questions or feedback on this approach, I’d love to hear from you.